Miss Magic's Forum- The Story Site for New Writers to Strut Their Stuff!
April 19, 2024, 04:51:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our newest member, ydanniegrathi! May they enjoy their time on Miss Magics!                                                                                                                                                     Look out for New Stories by:     terrimcintyre      Enjoy your time on Miss Magic's!                                                                                                                                                    ~new members wanted!~

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

shooting a man eating leopard

+-+-
+- User Stats:
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
+- Recent Posts ezBlock
DIY bride by MittRichards22
December 23, 2018, 12:41:38 am

Re: Hi by piersdad
April 28, 2018, 02:40:54 pm

Re: Where did that come from???!!! by piersdad
November 30, 2016, 04:04:06 pm

+- Members Online
5 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: shooting a man eating leopard  (Read 133 times)
piersdad
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:53:07 am »

A tale from India

A winters evening and the sitting room fire was blazing, sparks lit up and danced across the sooty back of the fire.
The radio was quietly playing the latest hits from the 1940’s
The floor was strewn with animal skin rugs that mum and dad had brought back from India.
My favorite was the Himalayan brown bear skin, it had long warm fur and was so lovely to lie on and cuddle up to in front of the fire.
Beside me was the leopard skin complete with a stuffed head and open mouth and real teeth.
I loved to put my hand in its preserved mouth, pretend it was real, and might bite me.
These were the trophy’s dad had brought back from his 4 years in India in the mid 1930’s.
“How did you shoot the leopard dad”
“Years ago your mum and I were in India and there was a tea plantation in an area in the foot hills of the Himalayas and a leopard had been attacking the local people and had eaten some of the workers in the plantation.”
I listened in awe I was cuddling up to a real man eating leopard skin I was real glad he was dead as I placed my hand in its mouth and wondered what it would be like to be attacked by such a fierce looking animal.
Dad paused for a moment and continued,

“The local head man from the village came to me and asked me if I could help to get rid of this leopard as it was eating the villagers..
 I had a 'Jeffery’s 333' big game hunting rifle and it was the most powerful rifle in the world then, the bullet would go straight through a hard wood power pole and drop an elephant with one shot”
Wow, I thought my dad a real big game hunter, and with the most powerful rifle in the world.
“No one else” continued dad,” had a gun that would kill a leopard as big as this so the head man asked me would I consider shooting it for them.
So, that day, the local people had built a platform in a tree near where the leopard was hunting and they supplied a goat for bait.
 They tied the goat to the tree, and an assistant and I climbed up into the tree as the evening drew to a close.
Darkness fell quickly in the tropics and the biting insects were everywhere wanting some big game for them selves.
My assistant had a mosquito net for us and we settled down for the long wait.
In the early hours of the morning I was awakened by my assistant and gently he motioned for me to be ready with the gun.
The gun was equipped with a 5 cell torch the most powerful one you could buy.
The goat was starting to tug at its leash that tied it to the tree and it knew it was in great peril.
Suddenly from the dense undergrowth there was a mighty rush and at that instant the goat gave a plaintive bleat.
A tremendous growling sound and strangled bleating came from the bottom of the tree as the leopard pounced on the  goat and with one mighty blow from its powerful paws it broke the neck of the hapless goat.
At this point I turned on the torch attached to the gun and pointed it at the commotion in the pitch darkness.
There was the huge leopard head down tail up facing away from me.
A perfect shot so I aimed carefully and fired. The bullet entered the base of the leopards spine and exited near its head shattering its back bone as it went..
The leopard died instantly.
My assistant was very excited and most relieved and said
“The sahib was a very good shot”
“The excitement over we climbed down from the tree and walked back to the village where a group of men with fire torches and armed with sticks went back into the forest to retrieve the prized leopard.
Some weeks later the skin and its stuffed head was delivered to us, and that is the skin you are laying on now”

I stroked the lovely fur of the leopard and felt the bullet holes at each end of the skin and thought wow my dads a real big game hunter.
“What about the brown bears skin dad”
“Another day son time for bed”
That night I dreamed of being a big game hunter myself.

so 70 years later my great grand son here is saying kitty kitty
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:48:38 pm by piersdad » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

the impossible now miracles a little longer

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

terrimcintyre

Happiest when I'm writing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »

Well-written, piersdad! Very descriptive.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

"Give me room, lots of room under starry skies above....Don't fence me in."

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Search

Advanced Search
+-Shoutbox
February 26, 2017, 08:29:23 am piersdad says: found i have still admin on this page  sadly storydad has dissappeared  thank goodness some of my stories are still about
December 02, 2012, 11:20:41 am piersdad says: we have a lot of people  just posting  some thing  never related to writing  and then advertizing their site on their profile  if this gets out of hand we could go viral and get 40 a day of this sort of person spamming the site
May 17, 2012, 09:05:50 pm terrimcintyre says: How is your book doing, Jennifer? Did you see my review on Amazon?
May 31, 2011, 12:52:28 am Miss Magic says: thanks piersdad
May 30, 2011, 09:41:00 pm piersdad says: Oledakit is the cupprit and ip banned as well as the name
May 30, 2011, 09:39:24 pm piersdad says: removed heaps of spam this morning
January 25, 2011, 11:18:53 pm mollytime says: awwww.
so how many have we got now?
January 05, 2011, 04:24:06 pm Miss Magic says: Loss of members: I entered everyone's names into a listed spammer database due to suspicious joining. Sadly, those that I found with 3 or more hits on that site have been banned and removed from MM's Forum
December 13, 2010, 02:52:43 pm mollytime says: WHERE DID ALL THE SHOUTS GO??
I win.
December 13, 2010, 05:26:40 am Miss Magic says: wow!
I have a few more chapters of The New Beginning to put up in a few days Smiley I'm amazed at all the new members!
View Shout History