Miss Magic's Forum- The Story Site for New Writers to Strut Their Stuff!
March 28, 2024, 05:10:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our newest member, ydanniegrathi! May they enjoy their time on Miss Magics!                                                                                                                                                     Look out for New Stories by:     terrimcintyre      Enjoy your time on Miss Magic's!                                                                                                                                                    ~new members wanted!~

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Vipers Tale

+-+-
+- User Stats:
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?
+- Recent Posts ezBlock
DIY bride by MittRichards22
December 23, 2018, 12:41:38 am

Re: Hi by piersdad
April 28, 2018, 02:40:54 pm

Re: Where did that come from???!!! by piersdad
November 30, 2016, 04:04:06 pm

+- Members Online
1 Guest, 0 Users
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vipers Tale  (Read 225 times)
Miss Magic
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2009, 12:10:56 am »

Yup, an old tale.

Vipers Tale

They said she couldn’t fight. They told her that females weren’t supposed to be warriors, that they were too weak. If only they knew the lengths she would go to, to prove them wrong...

“Viper, hey VIPER!” Clattering across the yard was a young black centaur. Her chocolate eyes shone with excitement as she made her way over the cobbles
   On the far side of the courtyard, an older version of the girl stood sparring with an animated straw dummy. At the sound of her sister’s voice, she looked up, only to be rewarded with a clout on the head by her opponent.
   “OW! Amnesty! What are you doing?” Viper growled.
   “You- you said we could go to the lake today,” panted her sister. On the far side of Centaur Isle, there was a lake, renowned for its beauty and healing qualities. The only problem was the trip from the main colony took nearly a day.
   Viper groaned, shutting her eyes. She opened one. Amnesty was still there. She closed it again, wondering why, just once, she couldn’t have the power to make people disappear.
    “Please! You promised! You could take you weapons!” Amnesty pleaded.
   Viper’s eyes flew open, a chance to train, away from prying eyes?
 “Done. You’ve told the parents? And packed?” She looked carefully at Amnesty.
   Her sister grinned sheepishly, not replying.
  “Right, okay, I’ll gather up my weapons, and we’ll be off.”

They reached the lake just before sundown, with just enough time to make camp, and then the exhausted centaurs turned in, happily anticipating tomorrow.

Early the next morning, Amnesty awoke to a fine view of the lake. Grinning, the eight year old slipped down to the waters edge. She jumped in, splashing Viper, who was fast asleep on the bank. The angry centaur leapt to her feet, then realised what had happened. Laughing, she cantered into the clear water, and the sisters spent over an hour playing, until a glint just under the surface caught Amnesty’s eye. She stopped in her tracks, not taking her gaze off the spot.
   “What’s wrong?” Viper asked, worried by the look on her sisters face.
   “I’m, I’m not sure,” Her sister replied. “I think I might have seen something.” She plunged her hand into the water, drawing out a long, golden Amulet with a black snake in the centre.
   Both girls gasped. Winking softly in the light, it was the most beautiful thing either of them had ever seen. Playtime over, they trudged out of the water, to dry off, and go about their business in peace.
   That night, the girls sat side by side, staring into the fire.
   “Viper,” Amnesty’s voice suddenly came out of the darkness. “Why are you always training?”
    “Oh, well, I want to be a warrior.” Viper had never told anyone her dream before. She didn’t know why, but she trusted her sister.
    “A Warrior?!” came the squeaked reply, “But that’s a males job!”
   “So?” demanded Viper, “what’s wrong with that! Just because no-one tried before!”
   “Well, I guess that’s true,” Her sister amended.
   They settled down, still staring at the leaping flames, when Amnesty was overcome with a sudden, strong impulse. Seizing the Amulet they had found that morning, she thrust it into Viper’s hands.
   “Promise me,” she told her sister. “Promise me, on our friendship, that when you wear this amulet, you will never give up you dreams. That you will become a warrior, and lead the way for the rest of us.”
   Looking into her sister’s solemn face, Viper realised that she had chosen the best possible person to tell of her ambition. “I promise.” she took the amulet and hung it round her neck as the snake on the front flickered, sealing the oath.

After a week, both centaurs headed back to the colony, deciding that they would tell no one what had taken place by the quiet waters. Viper was now training harder than ever and this had not gone unnoticed.
   “Ooh! Look! The little female thinks she can play with the males!” Prince Sharpsword of Royal descent was not known for his kindness towards the other gender. “Who do you think you are girl?”
   Viper gritted her teeth. “I am Viper, daughter of Charsis and Phrond.” She replied, as calmly as possible.
   “Well, Viper, I challenge thee to a duel! Let’s see how good you are against me.” Poor Sharpsword didn’t know what he was getting into.
   Viper raised her head, a new fire blazing in her eyes. “I accept.”
   Soon everyone on the island knew that the legendary Sharpsword would be fighting Viper. Crowds came in the thousands, hungry for excitement. Their roars echoed through the stadium in which the duel would take place.
   A horn rang out through the grounds. It was time.
   Viper walked out into the sandy arena. All around her, the crowd screamed and jeered. Yet, listening to the abuse, Viper was not afraid. She knew what she had come out to do. The crowd didn’t matter. On the opposite side of the stadium Prince Sharpsword was joking with his friends. When she reached the centre, he turned and grinned. “Here she is! The bold, brave maiden! Ready to run at the first sign of a challenge!” she ignored the insults.
   They squared off. Viper stared at her opponent. She saw his shoulder tense, and swung the sword up to meet his with a huge clang. The crowd went wild. Sharpsword wasn’t smiling any more.  A bead of sweat trickled down his face as it dawned on him exactly what he had gotten himself into. There was a pause; then both of them erupted into a whirling battle dance, a deadly game of cat and mouse. But Viper was steadily gaining the upper hand. Dipping and thrusting, she searched for the fatal opening. There! Her sword skidded upwards, halting at Sharpsword’s throat.
    “What is this!?” A huge growl came from the Kings podium. “You! Girl! How dare you bring this shame upon your family! Females can’t fight! Be gone!” Never show your face here again!”
   Viper saw Amnesty’s stricken face in the crowd, but she didn’t care. Rage had filled her head. Be gone? They were banishing her? She turned and walked out, and gathering her things from home, she left Centaur Isle.

Walking through the forest, Viper felt a stab of pain- she might never see Amnesty again. Most people found the kid annoying, but Viper loved her. She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn’t notice the trap until it sprung shut, leaving the bemused girl standing in an iron cage.
   “Well, well, well! What have we got h- a Centaur?!” This outbreak came from a Crow/Elf- a Bird Girl. Viper had forgotten that a flock lived just off the coast. This one was obviously rouge- she looked to be about 15 turns, yet it didn’t look like she had a mate yet.
   “Yes, Elf, I am a centaur. Will you please let me out of this?” It paid to be nice to elves- they made great companions.
   “What’s a Centaur doing away from their island?” It looked like she wasn’t going to let go until Viper told her.
   “I am Viper. I was banished because I fought the prince and won.” The indignity brought tears, but Viper wiped them away before the elf could see.
   “A fighter? Nice! No offense, but I’ve always thought centaurs were stuffy, with their male/ female rules! Oh, I’m Crowessii, by the way. If you want, I could teach you how to fight! Bounty hunters are in great demand on the main isle nowadays! Anyway, come back to my campsite! Here, I’ll take those bags…” It was clear that her new friend was a chatterbox. Hiding a smile, Viper followed Crowessii through the forest to her new home…

Amnesty watched the king through anxious eyes. It was over a year since he had banished Viper, and now they were on the brink of a war with some Bird/ Elf Lord, Nemresis. Suddenly, the sounds of clopping hooves rang out on the drawbridge. But, everyone is in the castle! She thought with confusion. The crowds around the door drew back, Revealing…. her sister? But this was not the Viper Amnesty remembered. This centaur was a warrior. The Amulet Amnesty gave her glimmered, its golden outline clear against Vipers pale skin. Her long black hair was tied back, there were new scars, and the quiver of arrows strapped to her back, plus the long broadsword at her side, didn’t look like they were toys.
   The king turned, looking for the source of the murmuring. When he set eyes on Viper, Amnesty bit back a giggle. The poor centaur looked like he was about to faint!
   “WHAT are you doing here?” He roared.
   With everyone’s eyes on her, Viper stared at the king.  “I am here,” she said, “To fight for my family-,”
   “Your FAMILY!” cried the king, “So, you disobey me and return, not to help your kind, but for your Fam-,”
   “-and for all the innocent that will be harmed.” Her sister finished calmly. “For, I know wars, and I know how you fight them. You will delay making decisions, until you bring the war to the island, killing countless.”

There was a murmur of astonishment at this, for she was right.  The king stared at Viper for a long moment, and then sagged. “It is true,” he said. “If you can help us, please- do.”

And she did. An army was chosen and trained, until over one thousand centaurs were ready to go and fight. But what Viper didn’t realise, was that, moments before they were to march off, her sister Amnesty ducked into the formation. All she wanted was to see her sister fight. Actually, all she wanted was to see her sister. When the king gave his permission, she had been swept into preparations for the war, with no time to spare for her younger sister.
   As they moved off, Amnesty adjusted the military garments she had raided from supplies. Wearing them, no one would be able to tell that she didn’t belong.

Reaching the battleground, they found their enemy waiting, headed by Nemresis. Taking a good look at him, Viper noticed not only the hidden strength, but the madness in his eyes. His brown wings were tucked behind him, and he carried a heavy broadsword, not unlike Vipers own. Nemresis raised a fist. Viper did the same. Both leaders yelled in unison, “CHARGE!”
   Charge they did. Within seconds, the earth between the two opponents was covered by struggling bodies. Both sides were evenly matched, but Viper did not care, as she scanned the skies, searching for Nemresis. He was standing on the roof of an abandoned shed, surveying his troops with a smug smile firmly planted on his lips. They saw each other at the same time, and the grin was replaced by a look of greed. He swooped, his long fingers now claws, to attack. Viper ducked as he swooped above her, landing on the churned dirt. A sword appeared from behind his back, and they started to duel. All around them, creatures were drawing back. The battle was almost over. Each living thing was watching the fight between the two leaders, well, almost every living thing.
   A scream rent the air, startling the pair. Beside the shed, Nemresis’ apprentice, Python had cornered Amnesty. His sword hovered beside her throat. Viper froze; terrified that he might kill her. Then her common sense broke in. Faster than anything possible, she galloped towards her stricken sister. Her rage and fear was so great, that she had plunged her dagger into Pythons back, before she realised that she had even moved. The boy fell to the floor, and this time it was Nemresis who screamed.
   “I’ll get you girl!” He yelled. “No where is safe for you now, oh no! I’ll get you! I’ll get you if it’s the last thing I do!” He jumped into the air, and within seconds, was gone.
   Viper pulled her sister tight. Tears streamed down her face, but she made no effort to stop them. “Never do that again!” she whispered. “Or I will be sooo annoyed.”
   Amnesty just hugged her, as above them, the sun peered through the clouds, a single ray falling onto the centaurs as they stood, in the middle of the battlefield, being glad just to be alive…

They told her she couldn’t fight. They told her it was not right. But she proved them wrong.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Humans are like Slinkys- not good for much, but amusing to push downstairs

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Miss Magic
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 02:42:23 am »

Uhm, take a good look at this one, because it's coming down soon! *shudder* re-wrote, this one is awfull

mollytime
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:24:09 pm »

LEAVE IT UP! IT'S GOOD! Angry

elmo loves wasabi, that's why elmo has no eyelids[quoted by elmo]

say ha:HA! Say it again: HA!
Put it together and what have you got?:HA HA!
And they said I couldn't make you laugh...
[Quoted on Live For Peace]
Miss Magic
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:10:15 am »

I guess I'll leave it up, just for mollytime, however as a critic I have to say my writing style has changed a fair amount, not that anyone would know as I haven't put anything up in a while lol

mollytime
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:39:59 am »

keep it up. I dshall critieeek it a lot. When I fell angry.

Miss Magic
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:01 pm »

Shocked

o.0
x.x

mollytime
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:04:39 am »

yes, be afraid. Be VERY afriad. Shocked

Miss Magic
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:08:09 pm »

*afraid*
are you just going to sit there scaring me?

mollytime
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:20:00 pm »

mm. In the meanhwile, fix this mistake.

“Please! You promised! You could take you weapons!” Amnesty pleaded.
“Please! You promised! You could take your weapons!” Amnesty pleaded.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Search

Advanced Search
+-Shoutbox
February 26, 2017, 08:29:23 am piersdad says: found i have still admin on this page  sadly storydad has dissappeared  thank goodness some of my stories are still about
December 02, 2012, 11:20:41 am piersdad says: we have a lot of people  just posting  some thing  never related to writing  and then advertizing their site on their profile  if this gets out of hand we could go viral and get 40 a day of this sort of person spamming the site
May 17, 2012, 09:05:50 pm terrimcintyre says: How is your book doing, Jennifer? Did you see my review on Amazon?
May 31, 2011, 12:52:28 am Miss Magic says: thanks piersdad
May 30, 2011, 09:41:00 pm piersdad says: Oledakit is the cupprit and ip banned as well as the name
May 30, 2011, 09:39:24 pm piersdad says: removed heaps of spam this morning
January 25, 2011, 11:18:53 pm mollytime says: awwww.
so how many have we got now?
January 05, 2011, 04:24:06 pm Miss Magic says: Loss of members: I entered everyone's names into a listed spammer database due to suspicious joining. Sadly, those that I found with 3 or more hits on that site have been banned and removed from MM's Forum
December 13, 2010, 02:52:43 pm mollytime says: WHERE DID ALL THE SHOUTS GO??
I win.
December 13, 2010, 05:26:40 am Miss Magic says: wow!
I have a few more chapters of The New Beginning to put up in a few days Smiley I'm amazed at all the new members!
View Shout History